Trademark Registration in Vietnam
Companies looking to expand to other countries should consider registering an international trademark in order to protect their mark as they enter the new market. Businesses willing to enter into Vietnam can seamlessly apply for trademark registration in Vietnam by considering the following:.
Following are the information/documents one needs to be aware of while applying for trademark registration in Vietnam:
- Full name and address of the registration applicant
- A clear specification of the class to which the products and/or services corresponds to
- Original power of attorney duly signed by the applicant
- A certified copy of the original application and its Vietnamese translation in case of any convention priority
Procedure For Trademark Registration In Vietnam
- The application filed for trademark registration in Vietnam will initially be examined for information accuracy, classification of products and/or services etc.
- Your application may face a trademark objection in Vietnam if all requirements are not accurately complied with. If rejected, you will be given one month stipulated period for amendment.
- If all criteria are duly met, the National Office of Intellectual Property of Vietnam will issue an acceptance of your application.
- The accepted application will then be published in the National Gazette as part of Trademark Opposition process.
- During these 2 months, any third party with supporting grounds can oppose the registration of trademark.
- If no trademark oppositions, the application will be substantively examined to check its compliance with criteria like availability, distinctiveness etc.
- The NOIP will then release its Decision on intention to grant Certificate of Trademark registration and request the applicant to pay the prescribed registration fees.
- On contrary, if the application does not meet the criteria during substantive examination, the NOIP will issue a Notification of refusal which must be addressed with the stipulated period of 2 months. Failing to respond within the stipulated period will end up in issuance of Notification of refusal.
- Upon paying the prescribed fees within one month of issuance of Decision on intention to grant a Certificate of Trademark Registration, NOIP will issue and forward the original Certificate of Trademark Registration to the applicant.